Two Stories. The Judgement of BC and BC Pinot Noir Celebration.
With a cast of All-Stars.
It’s the third annual Judgement of BC. Presented by Wines of BC
12 from around the World and 12 from BC. Poured head to head to see where BC stands in comparison.
This year we tasted the two most grown varietals in BC Pinot Gris and Merlot
12 BC Wines against 12 acknowledged global benchmarks. We are proud to announce BC’s Checkmate Black Rook Merlot 2013 from the Okanagan Valley ranked first among the flight of Merlot, and Kim Crawford Pinot Gris 2016 from Marlborough, New Zealand came out on top for the flight of Pinot Gris with BC placing third, fifth and sixth.
Hosted by the BC Wine Institute, and curated by celebrated Vancouver wine expert and Director of Wine at NewDistrict.ca DJ Kearney, the Judgment of BC third edition event took place last Friday in Summerland, during which 22 international and national wine judges tasted and ranked 24 wines.
So much to talk about..
Each judge had to set aside the style of Pinot Gris that they preferred and just start fresh.
And the merlot judging has big bold dark fruit go head to head..with no sign of lighter style.
One esteemed judge could only identify 2 BC wines out of 24 in a blind tasting. The mind and palette play tricks on you.
DJ Kearney – New District.ca
Rhys Pender – Master of Wine
Richard Hemming – Master of Wine
Sid Cross – Food and Wine Educator and judge
Kurtis Kolt – Wine Expert
Michaela Morris – Wine Expert
And Yours Truly
Here are the results…
PINOT GRIS RESULT ORDER
- Kim Crawford Pinot Gris 2016 | Marlborough, New Zealand | 13% | $19.49
- Domaine Zind Humbrecht Pinot Gris Turkheim 2014 | Alsace, France | 13% | $41.00
- 50thParallel Pinot Gris 2016 | Okanagan Valley, BC | 13.5% | $19.90
- King Estates Pinot Gris 2015 Willamette Valley, Oregon | 13.5% | $26.49
- Gray Monk Pinot Gris 2015 | Okanagan Valley, BC | 13.4% | $16.99
- Arrowleaf Cellars Pinot Gris 2016 | Okanagan Valley, BC | 13.9% | $20.99
- Pfaff Steinert Grand Cru Pinot Gris 2012 | Alsace, France |13.5% | $30.99
- Alois Lageder Pinot Grigio Vigneti del Dolomiti IGT 2015 | Italy | 12.5% | $25.99
- Blue Grouse Estate Pinot Gris 2016 | Vancouver Island, BC | 13.5% | $22.00
- Haywire Switchback 2015 | Okanagan Valley, BC | 13.6% | $26.99
- Poplar Grove Pinot Gris 2016 | Okanagan Valley, BC | 13.1% | $16.99
- Santa Margarita Pinot Grigio Valdadige DOC 2016 | Italy | 12.5% | $19.99
MERLOT RESULT ORDER
- CheckMate Black Rook Merlot 2013 | Okanagan Valley, BC | 14.4% | $85.00
- Duckhorn Vineyards Merlot 2013 | Napa Valley, California | 14.5% | $63.99
- La Stella Maestoso 2012 | Okanagan Valley, BC | 14.6% | $90.00
- Sterling Merlot 2013 | Napa Valley, California | 14.2% | $29.99
- Château Haut Carles 2010 | Fronsac, Bordeaux, France | 15% | $64.99
- McIntyre Heritage Reserve Merlot Ardua 2012 | Okanagan Valley, BC | 15.5% | $80.00
- Casa Lapostolle Cuvée Alexandre Apalta Vineyard 2012 | Colchagua, Chile | 14.5% | $33.99
- Burrowing Owl Merlot 2014 | Okanagan Valley, BC | 14.8% | $30.00
- Intersection Merlot Silica 2013 | Okanagan Valley, BC | 14.8% | $29.00
- Charles Smith The Velvet Devil Merlot 2015 | Washington State | 13.5% | $19.99
- Château de Ferrand 2011 | Saint-Emilion Grand Cru, Bordeaux, France | 14% | $51.99
- Culmina Merlot 2014 | Golden Mile Bench, Okanagan Valley, BC | 14% | $35.00
The BC Pinot Noir Celebration. Linden Gardens, Kaleden, BC
The fourth annual BC Pinot Noir Celebration brought together 34 of the province’s best Pinot Noir producers to celebrate the varietal that is defining the region.
More than 300 guests sipped, swirled and discovered the nuances of BC’s Pinot Noirs on Saturday, August 19th at Linden Gardens in Kaleden. The event paves the way for provincial, national and international recognition of BC Pinot Noirs as a wine of excellence.
There were lively breakout sessions, special key note speaker with special keynote speaker Master of Wine Richard Hemming.
Pairing only the best foods were Cameron Smith & Dana Ewart from Joy Road Catering, Alex Sielmann from Frog City Café, former Okanagan Chef Matt Batey & Mike Bernardo from Vij’s and Sutra in Victoria.
Our guests include:
Barb and Iain Phillip – Wine Experts
Chris Turyk – Unsworth
Jak Meyer – Meyer Family Vineyards
Christine Coletta – Haywire and OK Crush Pad
Thorsten Allander – Foxtrot
Doug Reimer – Mirabel
Leslie d’Andrea – Noble Ridge
Jeff Martin – La Frenz
Curtis Krouzel – 50th Parallel
DJ Kearney – with the wrap.
We couldn’t fit everyone in.
So next week we’ll complete the story with…
Andy Johnson – Averill Creek
Luke Smith – Howling Bluff
Bryant Mao – Hawksworth
Gustav Allender – Foxtrot
STORIES WE’RE WORKING ON:
Okanagan Crush Pad